Most of the homes have air conditioning especially for homes that are in areas where the climate is hot. When talking about air conditioning, we first need to start with what is air conditioning.
What is air conditioning?
- Air conditioning is a tool that is used for;
- Maintaining the humidity of all corners of the building ensuring the moisture in a building is stable.
- Ensure that the air is not full of humidity in the different seasons round the year.
- Air conditioning supplies ventilation in the room by making sure that the room is well ventilated.
- Air conditioning is also responsible for ensuring that the room is well heated up during the cold seasons in winter.
- Air conditioning is also responsible for removing soot, dust, micro-organisms and any other foreign bodies from the air.
- Air conditioning is also an item that does not cost prohibitive in maintenance and even in purchasing.
How an air conditioner works
The air conditioner should remove heat from the environment to the outside, thus cooling the room in which it is working. Air conditioners always blow air into the home. The air is cooled over a set of pipes known as the evaporator coil. The same method also happens when the skin is cooling where the water from the surface is evaporated. A fluid by the name of refrigerant is in the evaporator coil. The refrigerant changes the from liquid to gas as it absorbs heat from the air, then it changes back to a liquid as it was original. A compressor is used to move the refrigerant between the two coils and causes the refrigerant to either condense ore evaporate as required in between the two pumps. The compressor is run by a motor that gives the energy for the compressor to function effectively. The engine provides heat up to three times of the required heat for the compressor. Changing the refrigerant from liquid to gas lets the system use up more energy than is needed by the compressor.
There was a time when air conditioning and refrigeration was not available thus cooling was carried out by big ice blocks. However, the ice melted away and had to be replaced. When the invention of cooling machines started, there was the famous word ‘ton’ that was used it being the size of the ice that can fit in the cooling machine.
Air conditioners are complex machines dependent on other variables so that they can function properly